Friday, October 05, 2007

Thor! God of Thunder (insert thunder noise here.)

Our trip to Norway was awesome! Jack had to go to Stavanger for a couple weeks, so we joined him the last 5 days. When we landed in Olso I knew we were in a different place. I spotted about 15 mullets on my way to the next terminal. In Stavanger I even saw a toddler with one. (sad.) I wanted them to have Viking hair! Not mullets. In the end, I did see several men with long Viking hair, so that's ok.

What a nice break from Bella Napoli. We didn’t hear a siren the entire time we were there. And – they have immigrants!!! That means we could get ANY kind of food we wanted. Crazy. We ate meat every day (something we don’t do here) and one night we even had Turkish food! I almost died when I saw the menu was in Turkish and Norwegian at the Kebab House! Mmmmmm!!! I never was brave enough to try the fish in tubes that they squeeze out and eat for breakfast. It looked like grey fish mayonnaise. Ewww.
We were lucky because the first day and a half we were there the weather was beautiful. Sunny skies, perfect for feeding the ducks in the pond across from our hotel. We did that every day after breakfast because Sammi loved it. We would take bread and feed the ducks.

The next day is was rainy, but not too cold. We wanted to do the fjord tour so we did it anyway. It was gorgeous and we just stayed inside for most of the trip. We did go up top once to eat our 1-kilo of fresh shrimp and drink our smuggled cans of beer. At one point the boat pulled over to a waterfall and put a bucket on a hook out to get some of the water. Then they gave it to everyone in cups. It was pretty good!

On Sunday we had a rental car so we took the ferry to Tau and then drove all around the area. It was gorgeous. Luckily, we had brought a picnic lunch because everything was closed. We found some picnic tables by the water and ate leftover Turkish food, leftover shrimps, hotdogs and pizza. Then, we fed the fish there. Sammi had fun throwing the shrimp heads into the water and watching the big fish get them.

The next day we had to get up early for our 0600 flight back to Naples. It went ok and when we landed it was still like 90 degrees F here. We were looking forward to some pizza but it was Monday and a lot of restaurants are closed on Monday. Our normal one is, and the other one we use said “forse” on the menu – which means maybe open, but probably not. We were lucky, though, and found some pizza to enjoy on our evening back home.

Jack left for a wedding in the UK today, and tomorrow G and I are going on a trip to Orvieto! Yay for gallivanting!

No comments: