Sunday, February 10, 2008

Prenatal Care…or Prenatal SCARE??!!

So far I am not really enjoying this pregnancy, and the only reason is because I am so worried about the delivery. I know, it is not until the end of August, but “these hormones are making me cranky!” (said in tone of “these pretzels are making me thirsty!”)

Why am I so worried? Because I DO NOT want another c-section if it can be helped. The c-section itself was painless, being all drugged up and all – but the recovery? Spare me, especially with a toddler to care for now. All the books and sites tell you to search around and find a health care practitioner who agrees with you and a health care facility that allows VBACS (vaginal birth after c-section.) Not so easy when you have no choice, and the facility where you are “doesn’t really do VBACs.”

They wish I was one of the women who say, “Sign me up for the c-section. What day is good for you?” But no, I must fight it because I don’t want them to cut me again. Plus, they don’t keep you in the hospital very long at all so a lot of women end up with infections and other stuff. Still easier for the OBs.

They have played their hand, though. Wednesday I have my “amnio counselling” but they called to see if it was ok to switch doctors on me. I told them it was just the stuff I had to listen to before they let me schedule the amnio so I didn’t care who did it. The lady who called said, “We also have you down for trial-by-labor" counselling.” This is when the conversation began. Luckily, I already had a lot of info because my awesome doula from Canada emailed me some resources and websites. Here is the conversation that took place:

Me: Well, I don’t need that because I am going to do everything in my power to never, ever have another c-section again. I do not consent to being cut.

Lady: Well, we don’t really do those here because of the risks.

Me: The risk of losing a baby due to an amnio is much higher than losing one to a VBAC, but you’re going to let me get an amnio, right?

Lady: Yes, but that is different. We just think..

Me: I think it is LUDICRIOUS how many c-sections you have there anyway. I know a lady who is having a c-section next week because her first labor was “hard” and she wants her mom to be here. That is appalling!

Lady: Well, there are more risks with a VBAC. If we have to induce…

Me: If you induce it increases the chance of rupture.

Lady: Yes, that is correct.


Me: So, I won’t be induced. If my body and the baby cooperate we will have a normal birth!

Lady: We just don’t have the facilities in case something goes wrong.

Me: Well that means it isn’t safe for anyone to have a baby here. I know a lady who just had a baby. It was a normal birth but they had to call in the OBs because the cord was wrapped around his neck. Any birth can turn into an emergency at any time!

Lady: There is always a chance for rupture, though, and we don’t have an ICU. It is always bad to go out to an Italian hospital if that happens.

Basically, in the end she just said I would have to talk to the doctor about it, but she agreed with everything I told her. It is just their “policy.” But now I know they are going to try to scare, er, I mean counsel me on Wednesday so I can be armed with even more facts. There is something I read about how 400 more women have to undergo a c-section just to avoid that one rupture.

I will be their worst nightmare: a patient who is informed!!

Thanks to my doula! I wish I could have one here, but the nearest one is down in Sicily. : (

(need a doula or want to learn more? go to http://www.dona.org/)





No comments: