When I was growing up there was always a “magic age” at which I was allowed to do anything. Like, I had to be 13 to get my ears pierced, 14 to get contacts, and 16 to date (and married to have sex – ha ha – obviously, some of these age limits were not met.)
Anyway, it turns out that I wanted to date BEFORE I turned 16. So, one day my Dad took me out on a drive and we had “a serious conversation” about responsibility and that sort of thing. At the end of it, it was determined that I could go out on a date 4 WHOLE MONTHS before my 16th birthday. (I tried to take the talk seriously, but inside I was like, dude – it’s 4 months. What is the big deal?)
So, we went on the date and on the way home we stopped at the intersection by the old Kessen place and made out, in the back of his big ol’ pickup truck. It was a good date, as far as I can remember. Even though soon after he broke up with me because I wouldn’t put out, and started dating an OLDER WOMAN (a Senior!)
Anyway, he had this friend named Paddy who liked Rush. We all used to cruise up and down Wyatt Earp listening to Ratt (Round and Round….) At one point they had this vendetta against one of their teachers, who apparently wore yellow pants to church or class or something. Heaven forbid! Yellow pants! We obviously had to attack him for this. So, they rounded up their old jeans, and I rounded up my old jeans and my brothers old jeans –then I snuck them all into our tree house, bought yellow paint, and painted about 20 pairs of old jeans bright yellow. Then, we made these crazy signs on poster board, warning against yellow pants, and we were set. Early that evening this guy and his friend came to pick me up and we loaded all the gear. But, since my curfew was 11 – (ridiculously), we had made plans to circumvent that. They brought me home at 11 and I woke up the parents to say, “I’m home.” Then, I went into my room, locked the door, opened my window and snuck out – with the help of a previously placed 2x4 on the side of the house. I then had to run ½ mile down to the silage – because if any cars slowed down and then sped up outside the house it would wake my Dad up. They were waiting and off we went back to Dodge to place the signs and throw the yellow jeans out on this guy’s yard. Oh, it was funny!! Ha ha. Later that night they dropped me off at the silage and I ran home – with dog treats to keep the dog from barking while I climbed back in my window. That 2x4 stayed outside my window for a long time. Once Dad asked me why it was there in the grass and I was like, “What board?”
What is the point of this blog? THIS – this picture.

This is the boy who I had to have a “serious conversation” with my Dad about. This is his engagement picture that was recently in the ol’ hometown newspaper that my Mom sent to me. (I would subscribe, but it costs too much to send out of the country.)
See the little picture? Well, I just found out this is the picture he sent in to the 20th class reunion website as his NOW picture. Like no one is going to notice a slight difference when he shows up looking like the other picture?
No comments:
Post a Comment