Monday, February 19, 2007

More about Lil' G

Well, we lost our phone and internet connection for Friday and most of Saturday. Now, the net is back up (sporadically..no, it’s down, no, it’s up…) but our phone is still hosed. Good ol’ Naples.

So, I thought I would talk about Lil’ G for a bit. She is so cute now. Acting like a little person each day, not just a baby. Ever since day one we have been grabbing her feet and smelling them then saying, “Peee-uuuuuwwww! Smelly feet!” Now, she grabs her feet and smells and makes a face. Actually, she thinks smelling anything and making that face is funny now. She can almost walk. She could probably walk on her own now, but she is still too timid to let go of the couch or our hand. She has a little pink stool and she will stand up and push it around like a walker. She will stand up and clap, and as long as she is clapping, she is fine. But when she stops it is like she realizes she is STANDING without support and will either grab an edge or sit down.

My cousin commented how she must be a perfect baby because her hair always looks cute in the pictures – the piggy tails, you know. Well, maybe it looks cute in the pictures but up close you can see the straggles and the crooked parts like some demented circus monkey is putting her hair up. Also, the only way I can get it up is to trap her in her highchair and give her something to eat to occupy her while I quickly slap those rubber bands in her hair. I must also be fully clothed while doing it because if a bare boobie is dangling in front of her face all bets are off. She must have it now!!

We go to story hour every Tuesday and it is the same people who were in the baby music class. I can totally tell the moms who used to play with dolls when they were little and dress up their Barbies in cute little outfits. One little girl is always dressed in something with wings – angel wings, fairy wings, cupid wings. Another little girl is always in some adorable little matching, fancy outfit. Whatever! You can’t expect the girl who mostly left her Barbies naked, chewed off one of their feet so they couldn’t “escape”, and made them the cooks in the Big Jim Winnebago while playing “Gene Stegman” with her brothers would have the patience or the baby fashion sense to do that. Plus, who wants to spend that much money on baby clothes anyway?

Lil’ G is also into the boys. She LIKES boys. At story hour she is always going up to the little boys and standing there like, “Hey, hi, ummm, look at me. Pay attention to me.” We were at the Allied Spouses Club luncheon on Wednesday and this little 15 month old girl kept walking up to her (they were the same exact height) and trying to touch her and kiss her. Sammi would just keep backing up away from her, trying to get over to her older brother.

She has just recovered from her second ear infection. The doctor said they are hereditary and that the only thing that will prevent them is her growing. Jack says he had them really bad until he was 7 or so. I did buy some “swim ear” though and we put that in her ears after each bath so I am hoping that will help. The doctor they have assigned us in an idiot who doesn’t seem to even like kids. I thought maybe it was just me, but at the cooking class on Friday a lady with a 5 month old boy agreed with me. When I took Sammi in this time I knew she had an ear infection. This doctor looked and said, no, her ears were ok. I said, “No, they are not. She has an ear infection.” So, she got out this little plastic pick and cleaned the wax out of her ears and took another look. This time she proclaimed, “Oh my, that is not a happy ear.” I was right – like I was the first time and she told me no. This time I stood up for Lil’ G, though. The MOM always knows, right? I’ll just keep trying to get the other doctor. He seems really nice and actually has kids of his own.

Oh, I know. Valentine’s Day. On the day before the kids made Valentine’s for the craft during story hour. I took Lil’ G’s home so she could give it to daddy. I stayed up late and made cookies for him, then set my card and Lil’ G’s on top of the cookies so he would see them when he woke up. When we went downstairs I saw my card on the table, sitting up, but Sammi’s was gone. I thought it was sweet that he took her card into work, just like he was supposed to, without me even telling him. Until later that day we were on base and I said, “So, you brought Lil’ G’s card for you into work? That was sweet.” And he got this look on his face like, ummm, no. Turns out he thought it was just a pile of colourful junk to draw attention to the cookies, so he THREW IT AWAY!!!! I had to go home and save it. It was kind of funny. You can tell we are still new at this parenting stuff.

No comments: