Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving!

Well, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. This was my first one since 2002 and also our first “family” thanksgiving. We jumped in with both feet, too! (Ok, Jack keeps saying we had Canadian thanksgiving last year. But it was at his mom’s and –hello – she made pork roast and boxed stuffing. That is NOT thanksgiving!)

I volunteered to host it at my house and have all the fixings. So, I made turkey, dressing, garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, duck rice, cranberry sauce, and creamed cucumbers. Along with the usual sides of olives, pickles, nuts, etc. Friends brought the green bean casserole, rolls, devilled eggs, and assorted breads.

The fun part was, it was for 11 adults and 8 kids, all of whom except one were under the age of 5. There were 19 people in our house for thanksgiving and towards the end it was a madhouse. (Kids on apple juice.) Last time I had thanksgiving there were only 2 kids in the house, and we got the cops called on us because the bi-atch living below me had just broke up with her boyfriend and was being all maudlin. So, she called the cops on us for being noisy. (When they got there they were like, “ummm, yea, you guys aren’t being noisy.” – But still, who gets the cops called on them on Thanksgiving?) The only way I was even able to get the meal on the table was one of those people was the babysitter I had come in that day to watch Sammi while I got the meal ready. That worked out really well!

It was a really fun day and the meal was delicious. I though everyone was really brave to come out and eat since they had never had my cooking before. I had a 25 lb turkey and enough food for about 40 people, so everyone got to take leftovers home, too. Because it isn’t really thanksgiving without leftovers the next day!

I’m just thankful that even though we have only been here for 4 months that we already have enough friends to invite over. We really like it here. We are having a great time and we seem to have a lot of fun with these people.

No comments: