Thursday, May 24, 2007

What Garbage?

It is starting to get hot here. The landlord is coming to turn on the AC next weekend. If he wasn’t out of town now I’d have him over there TONIGHT!

It seems like we’ve been really busy lately. This so-called “part-time” job (they keep calling me in on my golf Mondays!) is making life a little more hectic – but it is ok. Yesterday I had to sub in the 10 o’clock and 2 o’clock ESL classes. This totally just re-affirmed my desire to NEVER be a teacher! (Unless it is teaching adults. I can handle that.)

School is almost over, though, and that is good. I need to plan another trip to Vietri. When my friend Becky was here visiting she did NOT buy a cool lamp, and now wishes she had. So, I am going to go back and get her one.

Oh – I remember what I was going to tell you! Remember how we almost got fined 50 euros for throwing trash in a dumpster? Well, you should see this place now. Since Neapolitan men are all 30 going on 5, and their way of dealing with problems is avoid and deny, now NOW all of the landfills are FULL. Yep, they are landfulls so there has been NO trash pick up for about a month now. Mmmm, smells yummy. How crazy is that, I ask you? Did they magically fill up overnight? Was the trash fairy going to come and clean out the landfills? And how can the logical answer be, “Well, we will just wait for them to fill up, then just stop picking up the trash.”?

So now the air quality here is just great – what with all the garbage fumes, and smoke fumes from the burning that people are starting to do. Thank goodness where we live they are still picking it up. Who knows what they are doing with it, but I don’t care – as long as it isn’t piling up on my street! We think they should just haul it up to Vesuvius and throw it in – like in that Scooby Doo cartoon.

And finally, you should all see Lil’ G. She is getting cuter by the day – and becoming bilingual since she is with her Italian babysitter while I am at work. I told her she had to teach me everything she teaches Sammi so I can keep up and understand her. She is getting really tall, too. I can’t wait until her checkup next month so I can see how much she has grown.

When I get home I will try and post a new picture. : ) Maybe I’ll take a picture of all the garbage.

No comments: