Monday, March 27, 2006

It's Official

Well, it’s official. We are parents now. Sometimes it seems so weird that this cute little baby is ours – and not only that but now she will be with us forever! Right now all she does is eat, sleep a little, pee, poop, look around, and eat. Did I mention eat?

I feel like a milk machine. The kid eats constantly. She’s a good eater. She is growing like a weed, too. I don’t know what I thought breastfeeding would be like, but I didn’t really conceive how often she would be there eating. The first 5 days were the worst. That was when we were both learning, getting used to it. Then she would eat for like an hour and a half at a time – then want to eat an hour later. Sometimes in the middle of the night I would think, “I can’t do this.” At all the La Leche League meetings they always said, “whatever you do, don’t quit in the middle of the night.” So, I didn’t – and now things are going fine. Now, before bed she fills up like a tick and then sleeps for about 4 or 5 hours. It is awesome! The main reason I keep doing it is because I dread the thought of getting up in the middle of the night and heating up a bottle, then coming back upstairs to feed her. The whole bottle washing and formula buying thing is a big deterrent. It is so easy to just pick her up and plop her on in about 30 seconds. Plus, it is so easy when we go out. We just grab her and I put a couple diapers in the purse and off we go!

Yesterday we even had our first feeding in public. We were all at the grocery store and she was fine for awhile then just started screaming – meaning “feed me!” Jack was sort of freaked out that I was going to feed her there, but once I got her on and the shirt situated you couldn’t even tell what she was doing. Thank goodness for our trip to Milkface Nursingwear for the tops we bought the other day! These Boob brand shirts are awesome!

People are always surprised when they find out how old she is, though. They think we are brave or crazy for being out so soon with a baby. We got home from the hospital on the 18th. Then we hung out at home all the next day –but after that I needed to get out! So, everyday we have been going out on little adventures. Maybe just for a lap around the mall – mostly to the grocery store. I can’t go for too long or too fast yet but she seems to like it. She hates being put into the carseat, but once she is in there everything is fine.

Now, we are working on mastering the sling. We are going to go out for a walk right now with her in the sling!

No comments: