Friday, April 07, 2006

An Exercise in Futility

Yesterday afternoon we were supposed to go down and pick up the Chariot stroller we are buying and the box of cloth diapers for the loan program. (We get to try all the different kinds for a week to see which ones we like before we buy them.) The diaper place closed at 5 and Jack didn’t get home until a little after 4. So, now we are headed to the West end of town, during rush hour, plus – there was a baseball game that evening (and we drive right by the stadium) and there was a hockey game on home ice. So, on top of normal rush hour we have two sporting events that everyone is trying to get to. Then, to top it off there is a power plant fire right in Westboro, the area we are going to. This fire made ALL the traffic lights in that area go off. Not just blinking red or yellow – completely off. The traffic was horrible, and everything smelled like burning plastic. We finally got to the diaper place at about 4 til 5 –but it was closed since the power was out. We didn’t even try to go to the stroller place. We’ll just go on Saturday.

We didn’t really feel like fighting rush hour traffic back the opposite way, so I suggested we go to the mall. I needed some toner from the Body Shop and I wanted to buy a fat squisher anyway. (aka: a body shaper, known to your grandma as a girdle or foundation garment.) My maternity clothes are too big, but I can’t squish into my normal pants yet either. Mostly thanks to this new mommy pooch. Like my stomach was anything to write home about before, now it’s a real treat! Anyhoo, I thought if I got a body shaper I could manage to get into a few things, plus I bought this nursing dress that I was going to wear tonight when we go out and I though it would look better if I was smooth instead of lumpy. I guess I need to get few pairs of pants to wear now, though. I can’t just wear sweats and exercise pants all the time. It’s depressing! This whole having a baby thing is an expensive wardrobe proposition. You have the whole maternity set you have to buy, then the transition stuff, then the nursing tops. Geez, you have to have more than one kid just to make the wardrobe expense worth it!

Then, we went to eat at a restaurant in the mall. First time out with the kid. It went ok. I had her in the sling and she just slept and ate. Of course, every waitress in the place had to come over and see her, plus some customers, and two other little kids about 3 and 1 ½. I guess they like babies because they are even smaller than they are. It was kind of cute. I told Jack he’d have to take her out to a bar one night to pick up chicks. Having a kid in a sling is better than a puppy!

Oh, the reason we are going out again tonight is because it is my birthday. Yay! I am now 38. Holy kamoli! 38 with a 23 day old little girl – she’s a pretty good birthday present. : )

No comments: