Monday, December 05, 2005

An Actual Baby Conversation

At the special order desk at a home improvement store:

Salesguy: Looks like you are going to have a little one.

Me: Yes – in March.

Salesguy: Well get ready because everything is going to change then.

Saleschick: Yeah, nothing will ever be the same again.

Salesguy: Is it your first?

Me: Yes.

Salesguy: You don’t know what you’re in for.

Me: Well, I figure it can’t be that bad, or everyone would just leave them in the wilderness.

Salesguy: Hmmph. I tried. It doesn’t work.

Me: Oh yea? They kept finding their way home, huh?

Salesguy: Mine are 25 and they still keep finding their way home!

So there you have it…the fear of the kids who never leave home. I figure that if she grows up even half as independent as we are she’ll be chomping at the bit, eagerly awaiting high school graduation so she can leave home. She’ll be ready to “get the hell out of Dodge.” (In my case, it really was Dodge, so that may have had something to do with it.)

No comments: