We keep having a problem with our paper delivery up here. So much so, in fact, that I have the number to the Ottawa Citizen pinned up on the board next to the phone. That way each weekend I can call in and say we didn’t get our paper…again. Maybe it is because we only get weekend delivery and it confuses the guy. Still, it doesn’t seem like taking papers to the right houses on the right days would be that hard a job.
Since I’m on the subject of newspapers it reminds me of when I subscribed to the Washington Post back in ‘96 or ‘97. When I was there I lived in DC because I didn’t have any kids to worry about sending to DC public schools – and it turns out my worries about that were justified. Here is the conversation between the newspaper saleschick and myself: (I swear this is real!)
Me: Hello, I’d like to subscribe to the Washington Post.
Saleschick: Ok. What state do you live in?
Me: Oh, I don’t live in a state. I live in the District of Columbia.
Saleschick: I’m sorry. We don’t deliver there.
Me: Umm, I think you do – Washington, DC – District of Columbia.
Saleschick: (in excited voice) Oh, yes. Washington! Washington is a state and we deliver there.
Me: Yes. Washington State is a state, and I doubt you deliver there. Washington, DC is not a state.
Saleschick: Whatever. Just give me your address.
I guess some people just didn’t pay attention back in grade school. Sad!
No comments:
Post a Comment