Friday, October 28, 2005

GIFT GIFT GIFT GIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that many of you are planning on sending us something because we are having a baby. I want you to know I appreciate it, but there is more paperwork since you will be sending it to “(let me steal, er, I mean tax your money) Canada.”

When you mail or ship something make sure it says GIFT in big bold letters on EVERY SINGLE PIECE of paper they put on the box. It probably wouldn’t hurt to write GIFT all over the box. And no matter what the UPS people tell you NEVER EVER EVER put our names in the Company Name section anywhere! Otherwise no matter what I tell the UPS guy I will be deemed a Company for duty purposes. So, no matter if you mail or ship – make it clear to everyone that it is a GIFT and make sure the postal or mailing center people put that on EVERY PIECE of paper they attach to the box – or else I get to pay duty on it.

Yes, I have had to pay duty on everything lately and it is getting on my nerves! I just had to give the UPS guy $24.88 to get a box of goods valued at $30 American. That is because, if the gift part doesn’t punch them in the eyes, any shipments made to Ontario addresses will be assessed the Ontario Resale Sales Tax ("PST") by customs upon crossing the border, and that bites. (I thank GOD everyday for the Boston Tea Party when I am up here.)

So, make sure every piece of paper says gift and make sure my name is NEVER entered in a Company Name ________ section! Thanks and have a great weekend!

No comments: