Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A Canadian Election

Canadians think that Americans have messed up politics, but these guys are whacked! There are no term limits for the Prime Minister – and no set election date. If the polls are high, he can call an election because he is popular. If the polls are low he can refuse to have one until the polls look better. How messed up is that?

In order to call an election when the Prime Minister does not want one is nearly impossible. Well, yesterday parliament had a successful vote of non-confidence in the government and there will be an election on January 23rd. It's the first time a government has fallen on a straight motion of non-confidence in Parliament. (In Canada, a non-confidence motion is a motion in the House of Commons, which, if passed, means that the government has lost the confidence of the House. The government must then either resign or ask the
governor general to dissolve Parliament and call an election.) Everyone is talking about how it will be such a long campaign – 8 whole weeks! Basically, what has happened is that Martin was sort of impeached. But instead of going to jail or whatever he gets to run again. And he will probably win again, too. The other candidates are pretty lame, but I would vote for someone else just for the principle of it. Plus, one province basically determines the outcome of the election. Ontario. It would be like if no matter whom the rest of the US voted for the winner would always be determined by California. The rest of the country is ready to start ripping Ontarians heads off if they vote Liberal again – but what are they gonna do? Really? Nothing.

Now, I’m not pretending to really know anything about the Canadian government. I try, but what does a “constitutional monarchy” really mean? Even Canadians don’t know. Plus, they have a million political parties, with 4 main ones.

I think it makes much more sense to have an election on a set date every four years. At least we know when to expect one, even if we do have a campaign season longer than 8 weeks! I’m just hoping one of the parties come knocking on my door. (They do door-to-door campaigning here.) Then I can say, “Sorry, I’m American. Can’t help you out.”

No comments: