Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Ready, Set, Winterize!

Ahh, I love weekends now. You may ask why? Why would I love weekends because I’m not doing anything now – just lying around gestating? I will tell you. It is because I allow myself to have an actual cup of coffee on Saturday AND Sunday, with cream and sugar. Sometimes, I even have 2 cups on Sunday! I look back on those days in Iraq where I was drinking 2 POTS of coffee each day with fondness. (not really)

The weekends are also days of the Big Breakfast. It usually involves eggs, tater tots, toasted bagels with Brie and thick slices of tomatoes. Sometimes, now that I am pregnant, it also involves having DP make pancakes. Normally, I don’t like pancakes – or I eat them with smooshed up egg and mustard on them. That really grosses people out, but I have my Dad to thank for that.

The weekends are also for reading the paper – and what day is the BIG paper supposed to come? That’s right – Sunday! But not up here. Here the big paper is on Saturday. It bugs me, so I usually just end up saving it until Sunday to read. Comics on Saturday, c’mon!!

We also got some snow this weekend so you know what that means. Yep, everyone was running out to finally put winter tires on their vehicles. I mean, it’s only the middle of November. Who knew winter would be coming…in Canada? We’ve been talking about getting winter tires for a month and half now – but we were included in the lemming like run for tires. Luckily, we found 2 used tires and 4 used rims at a salvage yard so we only had to buy 2 new winter tires for the back. That saved us about $300.

Then yesterday after my prenatal appointment we went and got the pickup slimed. They do this thing up here where they spray oil all over and under your vehicle to prevent rust and all the salt from the roads eating your car. That took a couple hours since the place was having a big rush and the owner was gone, leaving the receptionist chick in charge. In a place where all the employees are immigrants from countries where men don’t listen to women. They wouldn’t do a thing she told them to do, in fact, they probably did the opposite. So, when we were next some guy with a very expensive Mercedes got to go ahead of us. She did talk them into driving us to the mall, so we got a little shopping done while we were waiting, so it wasn’t a complete loss. Now the pickup is completely winterized and we have our Christmas cards purchased.

I also brought up the fact that sooner or later we are going to need an actual car. Once March gets here I won’t even be able to come home from the hospital in the pickup with the baby. We don’t want to buy a car yet until we find out if DP is getting posted next summer. Once we find that out we can plan accordingly. If we aren’t, there is a Volvo station wagon for sale down the street – but will probably be gone before we find out next month. If we are being posted then we are hoping to trade cars with someone for a few months. Maybe one of DP’s friends can use the pickup while we use his passenger car. I’m sure it will all work out – but I thought I should bring it up now to get the brain juices flowing so it’s not a complete shock when the baby comes and we are transportationless!!

No comments: