Thursday, November 10, 2005

Dang! I missed it!

Last night was the season premiere of the Rick Mercer Show on CBC. He is so funny and practically everything I have learned about Canada I have learned from watching him on his various shows these past years when I’ve been around. He would make a great teacher, but luckily for us he does his bit on TV so we can all benefit – not just a classroom full of ungrateful kids.

Well, last night he jumped out of a plane with General Rick Hillier, Canada’s Chief of Defence. (In Canada it’s with a C, so there!) Rick Mercer and General Hillier are two of my favorite Canadians so I really wanted to see that part of the show. (Another favorite Canadian is Major-General Lewis MacKenzie.) So why did we miss it?

We were out of food and had to go to the grocery store. We had no fresh vegetables, and no T. Marzetti’s Blue Cheese Dip. In our house if we don’t have any broccoli and cauliflower and no blue cheese dip to dip them into, then we have no food. Plus, how can someone cook without vegetables? So, we went to the store and decided to stop at the Lebanese fast food place on the way home to get something to eat. (It makes sense.) Well, there was nothing fast about it! Finally, food is being put into bags – it is 10 til 8 so I figure we can still make it. But, no. The guy runs out of hummus so he runs to the back to whip up a fresh batch of hummus for us. We had already paid or I would have been out of there without the hummus. Plus, the guy was in the back nowhere to be seen so we had to wait anyway. Later that same night, the hummus is made and we can finally really leave. I race home, abandon the groceries in the back of the pickup and run to turn on the TV. Rick and General Hillier are on the drop-zone saying, “Whewwww!! That was something!” We JUST MISSED IT! Stupid hummus!!

I got to watch the rest of the show, but I really wanted to see him with Hillier. Instead I got to see him riding a bike with Jack Layton. (Since no Canadians read this blog I know you probably haven’t heard of him – just some politician dude up here.)

Now my goal is to somehow meet Rick Mercer. I want to have him over for supper sometime. If that doesn’t work, then I’ll have to see him on the street sometime and chase him down for a photo. (And I’ll do it, too – not like the time I swear I saw Adrienne Clarkson in the Pentagon.) And I’ll wait for the rerun to see the jump. CBC likes to show the same shows twice in one week. Maybe the Rick Mercer season premiere will be on again this week.

(you can read Rick’s blog and learn about Canadian politics at:
http://rickmercer.blogspot.com/)

No comments: