Well, I didn’t think I would have anything to put on here today, but now I have a complaint. A new Thai/Vietnamese restaurant opened up here in Orleans recently. At first I was all excited – yay!! Thai food!! Even though a little voice in the back of my head kept saying, “you know they can’t really have Thai food here. No Canadian would eat it if it was even remotely spicy.”
With Jack out of town I figured tonight was a good time to try it out. I was imagining the delicious Thai food available in the States. Food so spicy it makes sweat drop off your nose, the way God intended Thai food to be. However, being the eternal food optimist can be quite disappointing up here.
I looked at the menu and saw the little red peppers beside some of the dishes. I asked the lady if the peppers meant Thai hot or Canadian hot. She assured me they meant Thai hot. I explained that I was NOT Canadian, that I liked spicy food. Then, I asked for my food to be made “Thai hot – I want it spicy!” She assured me it would be. I don’t know, maybe Canadians go in and pretend like they like spicy food and it gets sent back all the time. At any rate, I got my food and it had about as much spice as my morning oatmeal. Yep, it was the typical Canadian geriatric flavored food. No spice, no zing – no chance in hell of any sweat even thinking of breaking out on my brow and dropping off my nose. *sigh* When I was leaving the lady asked, "Was it spicy?" I replied, "No." Awwww.
I just miss being able to GO OUT and eat spicy, ethnic food. Sure, I make it at home – but it would be nice to be able to just go out and get some Mexican food or some Tom Yum and Pad Thai. So much faster than making it at home! Now, y’all run out and squirt a pack of Taco Bell Fire sauce in your mouth just for me!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment