It is the time for Winterlude here in Ottawa. The Rideau Canal becomes the world’s largest skating rink, there are ice sculptures, and best of all – Beaver Tails! Beaver tails are doughnut dough that is stretched and then fried. Then it is covered in some gooey goodness, like cinnamon and sugar or maple frosting. Mmmmm.
On Saturday it was nice and sunny out. Cold, yes, but sunny and I wanted to go outside for awhile so we headed down to Dow’s Lake for some sunshine and a walk. Have any of you ever seen a pregnant lady walk on ice? Hahahaaaaa – it was an adventure to say the least, but dammit, the beaver tail shack was like a mile away! Plus, I only have one speed now. As we were walking there from the pickup Jack said, “Let’s hurry and make this light.” I told him, “I’m going as fast as I can. I told you I have one speed and it is mosey.” Even when I try to go faster it doesn’t really do any good.
There were tons of people out, lots of families. We saw a lot of the stroller we are looking at buying. We talked to one couple about it and they love it. The lady said all her friends laughed at her when she bought it, but now they have like 5 strollers each and she still just has the one because it is so versatile. So, we are definitely going to be getting the Chariot Cougar 1 (with jogger and bike options.)
Anyway, we finally make it down to the beaver tail vender and the line was about ½ mile long. But we had to get one after all that. It was delicious – full of doughy, mapley goodness. After that we climbed the steps up the bank and took the sidewalk back to the pickup. It was only half ice on the sidewalk, as opposed to all ice down on the lake.
On Sunday afternoon I had to take Jack to the airport and he doesn’t get back until late on the 23rd. We are both hoping he gets to finish the course and I don’t have to call him back early!!
No comments:
Post a Comment