I’ve got nothing today people. The plumber is gone. Our new kitchen faucet looks great. I recovered our kitchen chairs with some funky material that matches one of the kitchen walls. We want a new kitchen table and chairs. We have an old Formica jobbie that Jack got from his mom. We had the same exact table when I was growing up. It eventually became our table at “the cabin” but I don’t think it exists anymore. Anyway, it is very old and the chairs were covered in this dirty, mustard yellow material with stains and paint spots. Since we aren’t buying anything until we find out if we are getting posted this summer I decided to do a little face-lift on them. (Does that mean I’m nesting? Is the baby coming soon? Please – not until at least after Feb. 23rd!)
Tonight we are having people over for supper. I think they are bringing us some of the stuff they had when their kids were little. Yay!! But on the bad side that means I have had to clean house. I cleaned half of it yesterday and now I have to get busy and vacuum and mop the floors on the main level. Yuck. We are getting Merry Maids starting March 1st or so. I can hardly wait. I figure I will know I am really nesting when I start to clean house because I want to.
Anyway, I am going to make chicken parm and pasta with Spicy Peanut Sauce, the most delicious sauce in the world. My friend in Baltimore made it for me many years ago and it is so good. I have been addicted to it ever since. Everytime I make it I can’t believe that I have made something so yummy. (And I am a good cook, too, so I expect things I make to taste good –but this….mmmmmm.) So, I am going to share the recipe with you. Try it – you will like it:
SPICY PEANUT SAUCE
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 scallions, chopped fine
1 garlic clove, chopped fine
1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh gingerroot
1 cup water
1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
In a saucepan heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and cook scallions, garlic and ginger, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer, stirring. Simmer sauce, stirring, until smooth and cool to room temperature. Sauce may be made up to 3 days ahead and chilled, covered. If sauce is too thick after chilling, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons hot water until sauce reaches desired consistency. (You can also freeze it for later!)
Serve sauce with grilled poultry or meat, on noodles, or as a dressing for spinach salad. Makes about 2 cups.
This is from the www.epicurious.com website. Check it out for all your recipe needs!
No comments:
Post a Comment